Our Green PolicyAs a business we are committed to working in a sustainable way and are undertaking the following actions to achieve this:
- Monitor the measurable elements of our business such as waste, energy and occupancy. Compare & analyse to strive for greater efficiency. Annually calculate our CO2 emissions.
- We have achieved overall reductions of 32% in electricity and 63% in LPG use over 2 years 09-11. We now aim to maintain that lower usage and make further reductions if possible.
- Minimise waste to landfill by reducing, re-using and recycling. In 2011 we recycled 39%, composted 50% and landfilled 11% of our waste. The 11% landfill = 84kg (less than 2kg per week for an eight adult household). Diverted 89% from landfill & aim to maintain these levels.
- Prevent methane production in decomposing kitchen waste by aerobically composting most kitchen arising’s on site, using an in-vessel composter.
- Encourage and practice efficient water use, alongside reducing water contamination, with a bathroom policy which reduces the amount of laundry and our Bag it, Bin it message.
- Minimise the use of chemicals in cleaning which are hazardous & toxic. We use microfibre cloths, natural ingredients and green cleaning methods. 2011 added an Ionator XP for 99.9% microbial destruction – HACCP approved – using only tap water.
- Constantly investigate ethical and/or local/Scottish products and services. We liaise with local communities, which helps our business to become more sustainable and of greater benefit to the local economy.
- Reduce the number of car journeys we make. Encourage guests to leave the car behind or reduce the mileage for 1 at least a day through our website or in-house suggestions. We provide Cycle Hire and storage, lots of tailored advice, alongside Activity & Walking folders.
- Support efforts which improve and preserve the destination as a whole, culturally, environmentally and socially - local businesses and guests all benefit from staying for more than just a night. Our tariff discounts stays of 3 nights or more nights.
- We are members of Green Tourism Business Scheme (GTBS) and comply with the relevant environmental legislation and commit to continuous improvement, suitable training and sustainable development.
“What a beautiful, peaceful place. I thought this only existed in dreams!...”